its opening on February 18, 1893 to present day, The Barnum Museum has been committed
to the preservation and interpretation of Bridgeport's industrial and social history,
as well as being an outstanding educational resource for students of all ages.
Designed by the architectural firm Longstaff & Hurd, the Museum was originally
named The Barnum Institute of Science and History. Illustrated
in relief panels across the top of the building are images from various periods
in America's history: the Native American (1670), Early Settler (1760), Maritime
(1840), Civil War (1861), and Industrial (1870). Interspersed between the
five panels are six busts depicting a Native American, Christopher Columbus, George
Washington, Elias Howe, US General Winfield Scott, and President Grover Cleveland.
first floor gallery hosts our newest core exhibit P. T. Barnum: Bethel to Broadway
to Bridgeport. The exhibition guides you through Barnum's long and multifaceted
career Using numerous artifacts, including a reproduction of Barnum's renown
'humbug', the FEJEE MERMAID, a souvenir piece of cake from Tom Thumb's
1863 wedding, and many personal items from the Barnum family, the exhibit explores
Barnum's life from his humble beginnings in Bethel, through the "curiosities
and marvels of nature" in his American Museum on Broadway in NY, through
his family and political life in Bridgeport, his adopted home, and concluding
with his most famous enterprise: "P. T. Barnum's Greatest Show On Earth®".
to the first floor gallery is a re-creation of the library from Barnum's first
Bridgeport mansion, Iranistan. Modeled after the Royal Pavilion in Brighton,
England, and designed for Barnum by Leopold Eidlitz (founder of the American Institute
of Architects,) Iranistan (oriental villa) was completed in 1848, and ultimately
destroyed by fire in 1857. The 19th century room contains the original furnishings
designed by the prominent cabinet-making firm Julius Dessoir, and showcases Barnum's
main lobby features Baby Bridgeport, a 6'8" 700 pound mounted pachyderm.
Baby Bridgeport was born in Bridgeport at the winter quarters in 1882. He was
the second elephant born in captivity and is the first elephant born in captivity
to be preserved.
second floor exhibits focus on 19th century culture and industry in Bridgeport,
and explore Barnum's contributions to his adopted home. The Victorian
Picture Gallery, featuring fine art and sculpture, captures the essence
of the early art museum, popularized during the 19th century. A model of
Iranistan, made for the Arts & Entertainment Network movie,
"P. T. Barnum", marks the entrance into the main gallery, Grand
Adventure: A Celebration of the American Spirit in Bridgeport. This
exhibition examines how Barnum developed
Bridgeport's East Side from farmland to a major east coast industrial hub.
The exhibition explores the impact of industrialization, and how Bridgeport recognized
and responded to its growing community by designing parks, establishing schools,
and building utilities and social institutions. Industries that made Bridgeport
a manufacturing center during the later part of the century included Wheeler &
Wilson (sewing) Manufacturing Company, Warner Brothers (corsets), Remington Arms,
Bridgeport Brass Company, and General Electric Company.
to the right of the main gallery is a re-creation of the drawing room from the
famous Harral-Wheeler mansion. Considered one of the most outstanding examples
of Gothic Revival architecture in America, the mansion, designed by architect
Alexander Jackson Davis, was built in 1847. Although demolished in 1958,
the contents and many architectural features were saved by the City of Bridgeport,
The Barnum Museum, and the Smithsonian Institution. The exhibit includes
original furnishings created by the prestigious firm Poittier & Stymus, a
Chauncey B. Ives statue of Pandora, and decorative details reproduced from original
the left of the main gallery is the exhibit, P. T. Barnum Presents the "Divine
Jenny" Lind. Through artifacts from the famous American tour of
the opera star, the exhibit reveals the impact of the Barnum/Lind collaboration
on culture and society, while revealing Barnum' extraordinary promotional talents.
third floor gallery hosts a 1,000 square foot, 3/4"scale model of a five-ring
circus. This exhibit, hand carved by William Brinley of Meriden, Connecticut,
includes more than 3,000 miniature sculptures - everything from the Big Top to
the Menagerie. This miniature wonder is considered one of the most spectacular
carved circus models in the country.
to this display is an exhibition devoted to Barnum's legendary protégé, General
Tom Thumb. Born Charles Stratton in Bridgeport, the diminutive performer
became the most famous of Barnum's acts. Original furniture, clothing, and
personal objects belonging to Tom and his wife Lavinia Warren are on display,
as well as miniature carriages belonging to Tom Thumb and his companion performer,
third floor is home to one of the most memorable and the oldest artifact in the
Museum, the Egyptian mummy named Pa-Ib. The mummy, donated in 1892 by Barnum's
second wife Nancy, is female and approximately 4,000 years old.